Nov 10, 2018
0 0

Premiership Rugby Cup: Gloucester snatch late win towards Northampton

Written by

Premiership Rugby Cup: Gloucester snatch late win towards Northampton

Gloucester are second in pool three, one level behind Northampton, heading into the ultimate spherical of fixtures

Gloucester saved their hopes of reaching the semi-finals of the Premiership Rugby Cup alive as a late strive noticed them beat Northampton Saints at Kingsholm.

Gerbrandt Grobler dived over in second-half stoppage time to degree the scores, with Billy Twelvetrees’ conversion sealing a 14-12 win in pool three.

Elsewhere, Newcastle moved to the highest of pool one as they inflicted a 3rd group defeat on Tub, profitable 22-7.

Leicester suffered their third loss in pool two, shedding 18-16 towards Sale.

Gloucester battle again

Gloucester welcomed again membership captain Willi Heinz, making his first look of the season after lacking the beginning of the marketing campaign with a calf harm, however Saints took the lead via Piers Francis’ strive following a superb line break from George Furbank.

An interception rating by Matt Banahan was transformed by Twelvetrees to provide the Cherry and Whites the lead on the break, however Corbus Reinach was quickest to pounce on Tom Collins’ kick via to place Northampton again forward within the second half, with James Grayson including the extras.

However Grobler’s dramatic late rating, awarded following a session with the tv match official, leaves the pool large open.

A shedding bonus level retains Saints high, one level away from Gloucester and 5 forward of Bristol – who journey to Wasps on Sunday – heading into the ultimate spherical of matches in 2019.

Falcons rise as Tub and Tigers exit

Newcastle put themselves in command of pool one, shifting 4 factors above Exeter, as they comfortably beat Tub at a moist and windy Kingston Park.

Tries from Micky Younger, Simon Hammersley and Sinoti Sinoti gave them a 22-Zero lead earlier than Josh Bayliss notched a late comfort for the Blue, Black and Whites, who have been eradicated from the event.

Elsewhere, a late penalty strive for Sale Sharks denied Leicester a primary pool win at Welford Highway.

The Tigers fought again from 11-Three down, following Rob Webber’s opening strive for Sale, as Man Thompson crossed on the stroke of half-time and Tom Hardwick added the conversion to provide them a 13-11 lead.

A penalty from Hardwick stretched the hosts’ lead, however Sale completed strongly and, after a number of Leicester infringements of their 22 and a yellow card for Tigers prop Facundo Gigena, the Sharks have been awarded a penalty strive which settled issues.

Regardless of being unable to qualify for the final 4, Tub and Leicester may but have a say in who progresses within the competitors as they face Gloucester and Northampton respectively in subsequent 12 months’s derby fixtures.

BBC Sport – Rugby Union

Article Categories:
Rugby Union

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *