World Cup 2018: Uruguay rating late winner to beat Egypt 1-0
Uruguay snatched a late winner as they started their World Cup marketing campaign with a dramatic victory over Egypt, who left Mohamed Salah on the bench.
Jose Gimenez headed powerfully into the web within the 90th minute as he met Carlos Sanchez’s free-kick to present the South Individuals a profitable begin in Russia.
Uruguay had been the higher aspect as Luis Suarez had missed 4 possibilities and Edinson Cavani had hit the within of a publish with a 25-yard free-kick.
Salah, who scored 44 occasions for Liverpool this season, remained an unused substitute as he continues to recuperate from a shoulder harm sustained in final month’s Champions League ultimate.
With out Salah, Egypt lacked a leading edge and had seemed on target to earn a degree of their first match at a World Cup finals since 1990 earlier than Gimenez’s late purpose.
The end result means Russia are high of Group A after their 5-0 victory over Saudi Arabia within the event’s opening sport on Thursday.
Suarez off type however Uruguay win it
It had seemed like being a irritating afternoon for two-time World Cup winners Uruguay, with Barcelona ahead Suarez surprisingly off type.
He was making his 99th worldwide look and was enjoying in a World Cup finals sport for the primary time since being banned from all soccer associated exercise for 4 months for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini throughout Brazil 2014.
However on the Ekaterinburg Enviornment Suarez proved wasteful.
He shot off track early on, scuffed a shot vast when unmarked solely six yards out and was then twice denied by Egypt goalkeeper Mohamed El-Shenawy – who saved one shot together with his legs after which stopped Suarez from taking the ball round him.
Uruguay completed the match strongly with El-Shenawy making a incredible one-handed save to push away Cavani’s well-struck effort from the sting of the penalty space late on.
Cavani later hit the publish with a superb 25-yard free-kick earlier than El-Shenawy was overwhelmed within the 90th minute.
Egypt miss Salah’s affect
The sport passed off on the 35,000-capacity Ekaterinburg Enviornment, which contains a momentary 45-metre stand behind every purpose, with the stands constructed particularly for this event.
Nonetheless, there was a shocking variety of empty seats with the attendance being solely 27,015.
The Egypt followers within the stadium have been anticipating to see Salah play, particularly after boss Hector Cuper had mentioned on Thursday that he might “virtually 100% guarantee” media that Salah would characteristic.
Nonetheless, Salah, who celebrated his 26th birthday on Friday, remained an unused substitute, deemed not match sufficient to play as he continued his restoration from injuring shoulder ligaments throughout Liverpool’s Champions League ultimate defeat by Actual Madrid on 26 Could.
Egypt followers have been diminished to cheering their idol when he was proven on the massive screens within the stadium, however hopes of him enjoying ended within the 82nd minute when Egypt made their third and ultimate substitution.
With out Salah, Egypt struggled to create possibilities, though Trezeguet ought to have achieved higher with a weak shot on the flip and Ahmed Fathy noticed a well-struck long-range effort saved by Uruguay goalkeeper Fernando Muslera.
Egypt followers might be hoping to see Salah of their second match of the event, in opposition to hosts Russia on Tuesday, 19 June.
Man of the match – Diego Godin (Uruguay)
Egypt stay with out a World Cup win – the stats
- Uruguay have received their opening match at a World Cup event for the primary time since 1970, once they beat Israel.
- Egypt are nonetheless winless on the World Cup finals, failing to win 5 matches (drew two, misplaced three).
- Jose Gimenez’s profitable purpose within the 90th minute was Uruguay’s newest profitable purpose in a World Cup match since Daniel Fonseca’s 92nd minute winner in opposition to South Korea in June 1990.
- Egypt have failed to attain in every of their final three World Cup matches.
- African groups are winless of their final 19 World Cup encounters with South American groups (drew 4, misplaced 15) since Cameroon beat Colombia in June 1990.
- Jose Gimenez has scored in consecutive appearances for Uruguay, additionally scoring in a pleasant in opposition to Uzbekistan.
- Uruguay have received every of their final three World Cup group stage video games with a purpose scored within the final 10 minutes of matches.
- Three of Uruguay’s final 4 World Cup targets have been scored by way of headers – solely three of their earlier 22 World Cup targets had been headed.
- This was Oscar Tabarez’s 16th World Cup match in control of Uruguay – just one supervisor has managed extra matches for a South American nation on the World Cup (Mario Zagallo for Brazil, 20 video games).
- Oscar Tabarez grew to become the fifth supervisor to take cost of the identical nation at 4 completely different World Cup finals (1990, 2010, 2014 and 2018), after Walter Winterbottom (England), Josef Herberger (Germany), Helmut Schon (Germany) and Lajos Bartori (Hungary).
‘Salah may have an essential position’ – what they mentioned
Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez mentioned: “To win matches on this group means we can progress. We both die or we kill and the expertise in the present day will assist us develop, however we will not make an excessive amount of of it.
“Generally the ball will go to the again of the web, generally it will not however we’re at all times seeking to rating. I am very pleased with the perspective of the crew and the way they performed.
“Egypt performed very effectively, an excellent sport, however I think about with Mo Salah, if he had been in high type Egypt would have benefited with him on the pitch, however we are going to by no means know.”
Egypt coach Hector Cuper mentioned: “Mo Salah is a vital participant for us however it’s essential have a very good crew, and we have now a very good crew. Salah may have an essential position for us sooner or later matches.
“We needed to keep away from dangers on this match [with Salah], however I believe he might be superb for the following sport.”