Marseille v Atletico Madrid
Marseille captain Dimitri Payet needs his aspect to “write their names” within the historical past books by beating Atletico Madrid within the Europa League last.
The French aspect reached their first European last since 2005, once they misplaced within the Uefa Cup to Valencia.
Spaniards Atletico received the competitors in 2010 and 2012, and have misplaced in two Champions League finals since.
“We imagine in opposition to Atletico as a result of this season has proven that we’re an actual group,” stated Payet.
Payet added: “Those that received the Champions League in 1993 are nonetheless heroes as a result of no person else has completed it since.
“We all know how robust it’s. After all, that’s an added supply of motivation, and if we do win the ultimate, our names will likely be written into the membership’s historical past books ceaselessly.”
Atletico boss Diego Simeone is suspended for the match in Lyon after being despatched to the stands in opposition to Arsenal, so assistant German Burgos will take cost of the group from the sidelines.
“It was the identical factor in opposition to Arsenal, when German was answerable for the aspect,” stated Simeone.
“I really feel unhappy at not being there, however we now have identified one another for a lifetime and we perceive soccer in the identical method. I’ve confidence in him being in cost.”
Atletico have already assured themselves of a spot in subsequent season’s Champions League by ending within the high 4 of La Liga, however Marseille, at present within the Europa League spot in Ligue 1 with one sport remaining, would assure they be a part of Atletico in Europe’s premier membership competitors by successful the ultimate.
Atletico defender Filipe Luis has been named within the squad after recovering from a damaged ankle, whereas winger Vitolo can also be obtainable after a hamstring criticism.
Marseille supervisor Rudi Garcia can also be anticipating to have a full-strength squad at his disposal, regardless of considerations over Payet (thigh), Rolando (calf), Kostas Mitroglou (hamstring) and Bouna Sarr (dislocated shoulder).
Evaluation – ‘Marseille can shock Atletico’
Julien Laurens, European soccer author
Marseille appear actually chilled, the stress is on Atletico Madrid and rightly so. Marseille have amazed everybody, they’ve defied the percentages all season. They’ve had a home season that’s fairly good and no-one anticipated them to go this far within the Europa League. They will shock Atletico, and I actually imagine Atletico cannot take them flippantly or they may very well be in for an upset,
- This would be the first assembly between Marseille and Atletico Madrid in European competitors since 2008-09, when the Spaniards went unbeaten in opposition to them within the Champions League group stage (W1 D1).
- Les Olympiens are aiming to be the primary French group to win a significant European competitors since 1995-96, when Paris St-Germain beat Fast Vienna within the Cup Winners’ Cup.
- This will likely be Diego Simeone’s fourth main European last since taking cost at Atletico in 2011-12 – the Argentine has lost both of his Champions League finals, however did win his solely earlier Europa League last in 2011-12.
- Because the begin of the 2013-14 marketing campaign, Spanish golf equipment have received seven of the attainable eight Champions League and Europa League trophies mixed, with Manchester United’s win on this competitors final season being the one exception.
- In video games performed away from their dwelling floor – the Orange Velodrome – Marseille have saved only one clear sheet in 16 video games within the Europa League.
- Dimitri Payet has made seven assists in 11 appearances within the Europa League this time period; essentially the most of any participant within the competitors.
- Antoine Griezmann has had a hand in additional targets than another Atletico Madrid participant in European competitors this season (10 – six targets and 4 assists), together with a aim and an help of their 2-1 mixture win over Arsenal within the semi-finals.
- No group has been proven extra yellow playing cards (30) or crimson playing cards (3) than Marseille on this season’s Europa League.