Man Utd to relaxation Valencia in Champions League opener away to Younger Boys
- How one can observe:
- Pay attention on BBC Radio 5 dwell and BBC native radio; textual content commentary on the BBC Sport web site
Antonio Valencia won’t play in Manchester United’s Champions League opener towards Younger Boys due to considerations over how he’ll react to the Swiss aspect’s synthetic pitch.
The defender missed United’s first two video games of the season with a knee harm.
And supervisor Jose Mourinho will not be ready to danger the 33-year-old in Wednesday’s Group H sport in Bern.
“We determined to not convey Valencia as a result of his knee will not be a knee that wants a synthetic pitch,” he mentioned.
The Portuguese additionally confirmed that left-back Luke Shaw would play within the sport after lacking United’s 2-1 Premier League win at Watford on the weekend.
Mourinho attracts on Federer for inspiration
Regardless of his reluctance to make use of Valencia in Wednesday’s sport, Mourinho says the synthetic floor will act as no excuse ought to United fail to win, referencing Swiss tennis participant Roger Federer in his reasoning.
“I do not wish to use that, particularly earlier than the match, as a potential excuse for a not good efficiency,” added Mourinho.
“I can get an instance, since we’re in Switzerland, the house of among the best ever tennis gamers – I am fairly certain that the massive man generally will not be completely happy to play on such a floor however he has to play and he has to win.
“Everyone is aware of he has a favorite floor, however he additionally has to win on different surfaces that he’s not in love with, so now we have to do it.”
Final season, United reached the final 16 of the Champions League earlier than shedding 2-1 over two legs to Spanish aspect Sevilla.
In addition to Younger Boys, they’ll face Valencia of Spain and Juventus, organising a potential reunion with former United star Cristiano Ronaldo, who joined the Italian aspect from Champions League holders Actual Madrid this summer season.
Juve the group to beat in Group H – Man United’s possibilities of progressing
Simon Gleave, head of sports activities evaluation at Gracenote:
“Manchester United’s possibilities of progress to the final 16 of this season’s Champions League declined barely after being paired with Juventus, who’re ranked fourth in Europe by the Euro Membership Index, when there was an opportunity of drawing the a lot weaker Lokomotiv Moscow.
“Manchester United are rated the 12th finest group in Europe (11th finest within the Champions League in Chelsea’s absence). Valencia (22nd) and Switzerland’s Younger Boys (55th) full United’s Group H opponents.”
Switzerland an sad European vacation spot for United
- This shall be Younger Boys’ first European Cup/Champions League marketing campaign since 1986-87, and their first for the reason that competitors was rebranded in 1992.
- That is Manchester United’s 22nd Champions League participation, essentially the most for an English aspect and the joint-fourth most after Actual Madrid, Barcelona and Porto (23).
- Younger Boys shall be internet hosting an English group in main European competitors for the primary time since February 2015, after they confronted Everton within the final 32 of the Europa League – the Swiss champions misplaced 4-1 that day and had been overwhelmed 3-1 within the return leg.
- United’s former Everton striker Romelu Lukaku claimed a hat-trick on the Stade de Suisse earlier than scoring twice at Goodison Park.
- Younger Boys have received simply one in all their earlier six matches towards English sides (D1 L4), a 3-2 dwelling win over Tottenham within the first leg of their Champions League play-off in 2010-11. Spurs received the return leg 4-0.
- United have solely ever confronted one aspect from Switzerland in European competitors – FC Basel. They’ve received two, drawn two and misplaced two of their earlier six encounters.
- United have misplaced on their final two journeys to Switzerland within the Champions League, 2-1 in December 2011 and 1-Zero in November 2017, each to FC Basel.
- Regardless of being eradicated within the second leg on the Santiago Bernabeu, Younger Boys’ final dwelling sport within the European Cup/Champions League was a victory towards Actual Madrid in a first-round tie (1-Zero in September 1986).
- United have received simply three of their final 14 away video games within the Champions League (D5 L6) and have scored only one aim of their final three such matches (W1 D1 L1).