Manchester United v Leicester Metropolis
Summer time signing Fred is anticipated to make his Manchester United debut on Friday however a number of different gamers are lacking.
Antonio Valencia, Marcos Rojo, Diogo Dalot, Ander Herrera and Nemanja Matic are all injured, whereas Jose Mourinho will test on the health of those that returned late from the World Cup.
Leicester supervisor Claude Puel should equally determine whether or not to incorporate Jamie Vardy and Harry Maguire.
New signings Jonny Evans and James Maddison can be found after accidents.
Demarai Grey can also be match, whereas Ricardo Pereira and Rachid Ghezzal may very well be concerned.
MOTD COMMENTATOR’S NOTES
Martin Fisher: Jose Mourinho hardly ever smiled final season and his expression hasn’t modified after a summer of frustration.
A number of switch targets have been recognized however didn’t materialise and it appears the United boss does not fancy his possibilities of closing the appreciable hole on champions Metropolis with the pool of gamers left at Previous Trafford.
Leicester have lastly cashed in on Riyad Mahrez however they’ve proven attribute resolve to rebuff United’s curiosity in Harry Maguire.
The England World Cup hero solely returned to coaching on Monday however remains to be in line to begin. Jamie Vardy is much less doubtless, as Kelechi Iheanacho has been scoring targets aplenty in pre-season.
VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT
Manchester United supervisor Jose Mourinho: “Now it is severe stuff. It isn’t anymore about friendlies, it is not anymore about preparation, it is about factors.
“Any level will be essential – you do not know what will occur on the finish of the season. You must attempt your finest to get factors and even with the difficulties that we had with our pre-season, now I do not suppose is the time to be talking about that.
“It is time simply to say ‘tomorrow we’ve got a Premier League match’ and we’ve got to play to win it.”
Leicester supervisor Claude Puel: “We misplaced Riyad Mahrez, who was a really invaluable participant for us, so it was essential to maintain our greatest gamers and have good additions to the squad.
“Now we have to organize for this season with good prospects.”
The environment at Previous Trafford can be attention-grabbing as a result of Manchester United haven’t had the best pre-season.
However does that matter should you win your first recreation? I might recommend not, and I do suppose United will begin with a victory.
Leicester misplaced 5 of their final seven video games final season and the primary few weeks of this marketing campaign are going to be essential for his or her supervisor Claude Puel as a result of, if they begin poorly, he can be below strain once more.
- Assume you are able to do higher than Lawro? Predict the rating for this match and the remainder of this spherical’s Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game.
- Leicester have gained solely three of their 44 top-flight away matches towards Manchester United. Their solely Premier League victory at Previous Trafford got here in February 1998 when Tony Cottee scored the solitary purpose.
- Manchester United have gained 13 and drawn 4 of the following 18 league conferences, with Leicester 5-Three victors at house in 2014.
- United have gained their opening Premier League match on an unrivalled 17 events. Their solely opening-day defeat at Previous Trafford in 14 video games got here towards Swansea in 2014.
- Jose Mourinho has by no means misplaced on the opening day of a Premier League marketing campaign, successful eight and drawing one.
- Manchester United gained all 21 Premier League matches wherein they scored first final season.
- The 19 clear sheets saved by United in 2017-18 was probably the most within the division.
- Nevertheless, Mourinho didn’t win the league title in his second season at a membership for the primary time in his managerial profession.
- The Foxes have gained their opening Premier League fixture in solely one of many previous 9 makes an attempt – beating Sunderland 4-2 in 2015.
- They haven’t began a top-flight marketing campaign with an away victory since beating Aston Villa in 1933.
- Leicester gained 5 of their first eight league video games below Claude Puel, however solely recorded the identical variety of victories of their remaining 21 fixtures final season.
- Puel’s facet scored with 13.3% of their makes an attempt on purpose within the league, a conversion fee bettered solely by champions Manchester Metropolis in 2017-18.
- Jamie Vardy scored towards every of the highest six final season, the primary participant to take action towards these groups in a single Premier League marketing campaign. He turned the primary Leicester Metropolis participant to attain 20 targets or extra in two top-flight seasons since Gary Lineker in 1983-84 and 1984-85.